Juror For the Exhibition
Juror Fealing Lin - NWS, TWSA
Award winning watercolorist, Fealing Lin of San Marino, CA is an annual guest instructor at Yosemite National Park, and instructor at Brand Art Studios (Brand Library in Glendale), and San Gabriel Recreation Center in San Gabriel. She is a signature member of National Watercolor Society, Watercolor West, San Diego Watercolor Society and the Missouri Watercolor Society. More information about Fealing and her work can be seen at www.fealingwatercolor.com.
Fealing will be teaching a workshop from October 24-28, 2016. Tuition is $500 for NWWS members, $600 for non-members. Registration will begin in late June 2016. If you are interested in attending this workshop, more information will be available, along with a downloadable registration form at www.NWWS.org, under the Events & Workshops tab.
Click here for information.
You may also contact the workshop co-chair, Molly Murrah, at 425-822-6552, or email@example.com.
$4,000 or more in cash and awards: 1st Place $1,000; 2nd Place $750; 3rd Place $500.
Waterworks is open to all ACTIVE NWWS members. If not a member, you may apply for Associate Membership before entering. Dues are $40 per year (calendar year June 1, 2016 – May 31, 2017) and are not prorated. Membership entitles you to a member roster, bimonthly newsletters, and reduced workshop and exhibition entry fees. NWWS hosts monthly program meetings and workshops taught by internationally recognized instructors. Click here for the Membership form on the Membership/Join page. Dues must be paid before entry (or with your entry if applying for first-time membership). You may also contact Membership Chair, Shirley Jordan by calling 425-890-9289 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conditions and Rules
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY: Failure to meet ANY of the below conditions 1 through 9 will result in disqualification of your entry in the exhibition. Failure to meet the conditions outlined in items 1 through 5 may also result in ineligibility to enter future NWWS exhibitions for a minimum of two (2) years. NWWS reserves the right to refuse, upon arrival, any painting of unacceptable quality or damaged in shipment. Paintings that do not match their submitted image or meet media and framing criteria will be refused.
- AGE - Artists must be 18 years or older.
- ORIGINALITY - You must check boxes in the online entry form to certify the following upon entry:
a. That your entry(s) is an original work of art, painted only by you, and not produced in a class or workshop.
b. That any single photo reference was not taken by anyone other than you (neither a purchased image, nor a stock photo image) and the image was not copyrighted (whether published or unpublished).
c. That your entry(s) complies with the following matting and size requirements:
i. White or nearly-white minimum 2 inch (2" or 5.08 cm) visible mat (including colored liner)
ii. Framed size not more than 44 inches (44" or 111.7 cm) in any dimension.
iii. Displayed image size not less than 10 inches (10" or 25.4 cm) in any dimension.
- SUBSTITUTIONS - Artists may not substitute another work for an accepted work.
- WITHHOLDING - Artists accepted into the exhibition and properly notified may not withhold their work for any reason once it is accepted.
- CURRENT WORK - Entries must have been executed within the last two years and not exhibited in any previous NWWS juried exhibition.
- Nude representations are not allowed.
- Entries must be water media paintings on natural or synthetic paper or paperboard. No stretched canvas or clay board allowed. Computer generated work will not be accepted. Collage or other media may be used, but the aqueous medium must constitute 80% or more of the work. All collage materials must be original designs executed on water media paper.
- Entries must be framed, matted and have a professional appearance. Paintings must be ready for hanging with wire and protected under glass or Plexiglas. Plexiglas is required for all shipped paintings. No saw-tooth hangers are permitted. All paintings must be matted with a visible 2 inch (2" or 5.08 cm) minimum mat. Mats must be white or nearly-white only. Thin colored liners are acceptable.
- Entries must be for sale and priced with the intent to sell. Once entered, the price of your painting cannot be changed. A commission of 45% will be deducted from sales. Any painting sold within 30 days after the close of the exhibit as a result of having been shown in the 2016 Waterworks Exhibition must pay the 45% commission to NWWS. Any painting accepted into the exhibition that is presold must pay the 45% commission. All paintings must hang for the duration of the exhibition.
- On the entry form, all sized and dimensions must be expressed in inches, using the decimal system, not fractions. Metric measurements will not be accepted.
- NWWS accepts TWO IMAGES per artist, but only one entry per artist can be accepted into the exhibition. If you enter 2 paintings, they must be entered TOGETHER on ONE entry form. You will see a radio button before the first painting. If you select 2 paintings, a second set of fields will be displayed for the second painting's details. Also, when uploading your painting image(s) you must WAIT for the first image upload to finish before you continue filling out and submitting the form. A small thumbnail of your painting will appear when the upload is complete.
- Entries will be juried from digital images only uploaded using our online entry system.
- Awards will be judged from original paintings.
- Only artists whose submissions are juried into the exhibition will receive email notification consisting of an acceptance package with painting labels, claim checks and additional instructions.
- Utmost care will be taken in handling artwork; NWWS and/or its representatives will not be held responsible for damage or loss from any cause.
- Permission is assumed by NWWS to reproduce accepted artwork for the exhibition catalog and other promotional uses, including the NWWS website. All images will be archived.
- All entrants will receive a complimentary copy of the printed exhibition catalog. Additional catalogs are available to purchase for $5.00.
- Artists accepted into the exhibit receive 1/2 point toward NWWS signature membership.
- Artwork not shipped must be hand delivered to Tsuga Fine Art and Framing on October 22, 10:00–Noon.
- Shipped artwork must arrive at Tsuga Fine Art and Framing by October 13. Specific instructions for shipping artwork will be included in acceptance packets.
How to Enter
- A high resolution, 300 dpi image is required. Image must be cropped to the displayed image area only (no frame, no mat).
- If using a digital camera – match camera orientation to painting orientation. In image mode, set the image resolution to a minimum of 2048 x 1536.
- If painting is scanned – scan painting at a 300 dpi resolution. The longest dimension of your final, cropped image should be 2100 pixels (7” at 300 dpi).
- Image needs to be in .jpg (or .jpeg) format. Maximum file size is 4 MB and no larger.
- PLEASE NOTE: Label image file with the TITLE OF YOUR PAINTING ONLY, EXACTLY THE WAY YOU WANT IT PRINTED IN THE CATALOG (i.e., Sunflower Field.jpg) WITH ONE EXCEPTION, ONLY letters & numbers may be used in the image file name. Do not use special characters such as -, ?, >, <, ", ', &, %, etc. Special characters should be indicated in the entry form's "Painting Title" field, just not in the image file name.
- If you need to re-size your image and don't have image editing software, you can use this FREE re-sizing tool online at www.photosize.com/Advanced-Resizer.html
* We suggest you make a copy of your original image and re-size the copy.
* Follow the instructions on the photosize website for editing and re-sizing your image. (Be sure and use the HELP link if something is not clear.)
You are now ready to enter the show!
- Payment may be made online or by mail. The entry fee is $30 for all NWWS members for one image. An additional fee of $15 is required for a second image, bringing the total for two images to $45. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- Payment online – Submit the entry fee using a credit card or PayPal (PayPal also accepts credit cards). With our online entry system, if you are not an NWWS member, you must first join NWWS by paying the $40 membership fee. If you are a member but have not renewed your membership dues for 2016-17, you must renew before entering. You can find the membership form for new or renewing members by clicking on the “Become a Member” link under the Membership/Join menu. After you have paid your membership fee, you may enter your image(s) into the exhibition.
- Payment by mail – Mail a copy of your entry confirmation email along with a check, payable to NWWS, immediately after completing your online entry. If you are applying for first-time NWWS membership or renewing your existing membership, your membership fee ($40) can be included in your check with your entry fee. Mailed payments must be received by the NWWS Treasurer, Peggy Meyers and sent to PO Box 50387, Bellevue, WA 98015-0387 by midnight, August 8, 2016.
Accepted artists will be notified via email and also posted online on the Waterworks prospectus page by September 12, 2016. Please DO NOT CALL for early notification of acceptance.
For general questions about the exhibition, acceptance, delivery process, etc., please contact Exhibition Co-Chair, CoCo Mills.
For questions about the entry process only, please contact exhibition Digital Curator, Che Lopez.